The pressures of daily business can often mean strategic planning takes a back seat – but to have a successful business you must plan ahead.
We’ll help you establish a strategic plan that looks at where you want your business to be in the next 3-5 years and exactly how you and your team can achieve these aims and objectives.
Your strategic plan will:
- Define the characteristics of your company in three to five years
- Identify your competitors
- Define your objectives and financial goals
- Put in place an effective implementation plan to achieve your goals
Administering your payroll can be time-consuming and divert you from the core activities of your business. Payroll & employment legislation is growing increasingly complex.
We can relieve you of this burden by providing a comprehensive and confidential payroll service, including:
- Customised payslips
- Administration of PAYE, statutory sick pay, annual leave etc
- IR-Filing to the IRD
- Summaries and analyses of staff costs
- Administration of incentive schemes, bonuses and termination payments
Even if you have only a few employees, you will make savings by engaging us to administer your payroll.
Here at Lay Dodd we understand the day to day office duties are not everyone’s cup of tea. To this end we are happy to help out with some or all of the following services:
- Wages Processing
- Payment and processing of creditors
- Collection and banking of debtors
- Various secretarial tasks
- Training in Office duties
A wide range of financing options exist, all with their pros and cons. At Lay Dodd we know the financial market, and have the experience to assist you in securing the best financing option for your personal and business goals. Our experience in the market means we are also able to structure debt upon acquisition to maximise tax advantages.
Let our experienced team explore with you the best financing options to get your business closer to its goals.
Our aim is to ensure your business achieves the potential it’s capable of. We have the know-how and experience to offer advice to help you run your business more effectively.
We are practiced in acting as a sounding board for management, bringing to the relationship years of experience in business growth. We can identify key performance indicators in your business, through which you will see positive changes occurring with the help of our professional consultants.
We are able to check your business is as competitive, focused, and profitable as it can be. We then offer flexible strategies, designed to address the issues affecting your business.
Let us give your business a health check. Take the practical advice we can give to ensure the continual success of your venture.
Have you ever wondered if you are holding too much inventory? Is this the right time to expand your business? Are you going to have enough cash to pay all expenses every month?
Survival in today’s business climate requires you to spend more time working on your business rather than in the business.
We can provide you with accurate, timely and informative cashflow forecasting reports – allowing you to:
- Realize and understand when cash is available
- Plan and prepare for expansion, stock control, and taxes
- Analyse and anticipate key expenses
Armed with this information, we’ll work with you to develop action strategies to improve your bottom line
Let us help you turn your business idea into a reality.
If you have a good idea for a new business venture but don’t have expertise in the legal or financial aspects of creating a new business, we can help you:
- Decide on the most suitable structure for your business – sole trader, partnership, or limited company
- Prepare a business plan, cashflow projections, budgets, and trading forecasts
- Assess your finance requirements, advise on the best sources of finance, and draw up the necessary proposals
- Establish a good working relationship with your bank
- Complete any registration procedures with Companies Office, Inland Revenue, or Customs and Excise
- Deal with company secretarial issues
- Set up a recording system for your internal use and for complying with statutory requirements
Bookkeeping & accounting
Modern business demands up to date accurate financial information.
We can relieve you and your staff of an enormous burden by taking care of all your bookkeeping and accounting needs, including the preparation of your annual accounts and periodic management accounts for tax, business appraisal and planning purposes.
We will discuss your requirements with you and provide you with tailored information and constructive advice on a regular basis.
Have you ever wondered how your business performs compared to your competitors? Are you spending enough on advertising? Are you paying too much rent? Are your staff costs too high? What is the average bottom line of your competitors?
Survival in today’s business climate requires you to spend more time working on your business rather than in the business.
We can provide you with accurate, timely and informative benchmarking reports – allowing you to:
- See how your business compares against your competitors
- Understand how the rest of your industry works
- Analyse the key performance indicators of your industry
Armed with this information, we’ll work with you to develop action strategies to improve your bottom line.
An independent valuation provides you with answers to the questions you often need to ask about the value of a business or property. Am I getting the best price for the sale of my business? Is the asking price too much?
We are trained and experienced in business valuations and are able to provide you with simple guidelines and formulae for evaluating the worth of a business. We are also able to appear in court and in arbitration as expert witnesses in relation to business valuations.
Choose Lay Dodd for a professional and accurate valuation service.
TrustsA trust provides a valuable way of protecting the assets you have accumulated for the benefit of others. We have extensive experience and so are able to offer specialist advice on Trust formation, ensuring all statutory requirements are met. Obligations for trustees can often be onerous, and our assistance in Trust administration will be invaluable. We are able to:
- Prepare and execute the vital documentation involved in Trust formation
- Attend to the special requirements involved in reporting for Trusts
- Trust administration
- Minute keeping service
- Annual accounts
- Asset management
- Investment monitoring
- Income distribution
Succession planning and trusts
To achieve a comfortable retirement requires forward planning. You need to consider such things as when you will retire, how much income will be required to allow the retirement you desire, how to acquire that income, and what role the government will play.
Contact us for more information on forming a plan that allows for a hassle free continuation of your business, or attaining a comfortable retirement.
Selling a business
Selling a business can be a difficult, often disheartening time. In this state the tasks involved in selling a business can seem particularly arduous. Here at Lay Dodd we are able to relieve that stress for you.
The services we provide in relation to organising the selling of a business include:
- Obtaining comparative results
- Establishing a realistic sale price
- Taking the business to the market
- Negotiating with potential purchasers
- Drafting a contract
Our friendly and professional staff are able to assist in such a way that a maximum return for your business can be achieved.
Business Succession Planning
In ensuring the long term success of your business, it is critical to establish a well-designed succession plan. Coordination of the transition of your business to your successors can be an arduous process. However, with our years of experience we can address the complex issues of business continuation, taking the stress off your shoulders.
At Lay Dodd we have the necessary expertise to assist in a variety of areas in relation to residential and commercial property.
The services we offer our clients include:
- Advice on the purchasing of a property
- Reviews of lease agreements
- Advice on funding
- Guidance in tax minimisation
- Advice on ownership structure
- Periodic reviews to ensure returns are maximised
The importance of forecasts in making a residential investment cannot be emphasised enough. We are able to provide for you:
- Forecasts of revenue returns
- Forecasts of financial position
- Forecasts of potential growth
Contact us today for more information on how we are able to assist you in the business of rental properties.
The key to avoiding insolvency is to seek professional help as soon as the first signs of difficulty appear. The experienced professionals at Lay Dodd are able to assist in identifying problem areas, and suggest solutions to improve the position of the company. Timely and expert advice may be able to save your business from liquidation or receivership.
Receivership entails someone being appointed to raise funds within the company to repay a financer. In the case where so many of the company assets are sold that the company is unable to continue daily business, a liquidation is necessary. A liquidator disposes of all the assets of the company and repays creditors. Upon liquidation the company ceases to exist.
In the event liquidation or receivership is necessary, Lay Dodd has the experience and skills required to assist.
If your business is struggling under financial and operational difficulties, proactive and insightful action is vital for avoidance or minimisation of the ramifications. Contact us today for an appointment and expert advice to aid your situation.
We live in a computerised age. Technology enables us to enhance a wide variety of business processes. Effective use of software and hardware can provide enormous benefits to your business.
Here at Lay Dodd we have embraced the world of computerised systems, and therefore our experienced professionals are able to:
- Discuss with you the best system to implement to further your business
- Install and configure software to suit your purposes
- Recommend processes to make your computer system more secure
- Suggest accounting software applications suitable for your business
- Train clients to be self-sufficient users of a variety of softwares
- Offer advice on electronic banking
Whether you are contemplating the addition of new computer systems, or looking at completely changing your business systems, our trained staff are able to assist you.
Forensic Accounting is the use of accountancy techniques to assess the financial implications of legal disputes. In a dispute over money it is imperative to be given accurate and timely advice.
At Lay Dodd we offer assistance in legal disputes, to swiftly make those headaches over money disappear. Often with our intervention the dispute is able to be settled without a court case. However, in the event that a court case is necessary we are able to provide the information and documentation required for your case, and act as an expert witness in court.
Our specialists all bring with them a sound understanding of legal concepts and procedures based on years of experience. They are ready and able to guide you through the treacherous territory of the legal industry.
Farm accounting involves specific business, financial, and taxation issues, and a specialist understanding of the industry. At Lay Dodd we keep abreast of the developments in both the farming and accounting industries, ensuring we are uniquely placed to provide up-to-date, accurate advice.
Our services include:
- Farm budgeting and cash flows
- Farm sales and purchases
- Ownership structures
- Preparation of financial statements
- Seasonal planning
- Succession planning
As unpleasant as the task is, estate planning is one of the necessities in life. It allows peace of mind knowing your hard earned assets will be dealt with in the manner you choose.
For business owners, a plan for succession of ownership is essential. We can guide you through the process of providing for business continuity.
The executor and trustee of a will is required to perform a number of duties. At Lay Dodd we are experienced in estate planning, and can guarantee the succession plan for your assets will be held to.
The areas involved in estate administration we are able to assist with include:
- Meeting to discuss objectives for your estate
- Confirming assets – valuations, inventories, appraisals
- Court approval for a grant of administration
- Documentation involved in estate planning
- Protecting the assets
- Paying taxes and debts
- Estate distribution
- Administration Act
Company legislation requires businesses to perform many administration tasks that take up a lot of valuable company time. The last thing you need as a business owner is to be stressed out trying to ensure you are complying with the Companies Act 1993.
The possible threat of penalties for failing to keep up with the changing rules is too great a risk to take.
At Lay Dodd we are able to relieve this burden for you. Our services include:
- General advice on company law
- Company formations
- Filing of annual returns on your behalf
- Preparation of all documentation related to minutes and resolutions
- Maintenance of statutory books
- Assistance in changes of directors, shareholders, addresses, and office details
- Bonus Issues
- Share transfers
- Registered Office Facility
Please contact us for further information on how we can help you to get back to the task of running your business.
Charitable trusts are trusts set up to hold money or assets and carry out activities for the benefit of the community. They may be formed for the purpose of:
- the promotion of education
- the relief of poverty
- the promotion of religion
- other purposes of benefit to the community
A charitable trust as registered by the Registrar of Incorporated Societies gains tax benefits when approved by the IRD. These tax breaks include the absence of gift duty on gifts to the trust and the absence of tax on income earned by the trust.
At Lay Dodd we know the practicalities of charitable trusts. Our experience in this area enables us to assist you in both setting up the trust and in using the trust to most effectively reach your charitable goals.
Acquisitions and mergers
There are many scenarios in which you may wish to attain a business enterprise. Whatever the situation, Lay Dodd are able to take the stress out and maximise the opportunity for you.
Whether you are considering buying a business or merging with another business, we have the experience and the expertise you need. We ask the right questions, and find the necessary answers. Are you getting a good deal? Is the business right for you? Can you afford it? Have all avenues for future growth been investigated?
The services we provide incorporate every stage of the process – from identifying potential acquisitions, working through negotiations of the commercial elements of the transaction, through to forecasting the future of the business. Incorporated in this is:
- A review of your goals and objectives
- Due diligence services
- Preparation of financial forecasts
- Advice on potential pitfalls and rewards involved in a merger
- Assistance with purchase negotiations
- Advice on financing
- Assistance with preparation of a business plan
Calling on the skills of professionals means you will be far less likely to purchase an unsuitable business. Let Lay Dodd show you how their experience can save you from stress, and provide you with the great opportunity a business acquisition or merger can be.
At Lay Dodd we offer a full range of Taxation Services. Our taxation consulting division is nationally recognised which means we can offer advice based on proven knowledge and experience. Our proactive approach ensures we deliver a consistent service and build solid relationships which stand the test of time.
Taxation can be a major cost to your business. We will work in partnership with you to minimise your tax and help you achieve your key objectives.
We provide a complete service of help and advice in all of the following areas:
- Preparation of personal & company tax returns and advice on payment of tax
- GST/FBT/ACC obligations
- Advice on and implementation of tax effective trust structures for asset protection and tax minimisation
- Management of any IRD Audits or disputes
GST legislation is an area we know like the back of our hand. We are able to offer accurate, timely assistance in a number of areas. These include:
- Registration queries
- Preparation of GST returns
- Filing and adjusting GST returns
- IRD audit assistance
- Specialist events involving GST – eg sale or purchase of property
The rules relating to FBT payments change on a regular basis. At Lay Dodd we keep up to date with the world of tax and are able to give accurate advice on the preparation of FBT returns.
We are also able to advise on the FBT consequences of proposals you intend to make, allowing you to make fully informed decisions.
Rather than paying excessive amounts of FBT, let the experts answer your tax queries. We can assist with the development and administration of a cost-effective employee benefit plan.